Thursday, April 11, 2013

Christ, The Atonement, and The Resurrection

I know I’m late for the Easter holiday, but I thought this is a topic important any time of year.

There have been several deaths recently that have impacted my friends and family. My mother sent me a link to a short video regarding the life-after-death experience of Dr. Mary Neal. While I watched the video, I reflected on the truth that her ability to join with her family after death is directly related to the sacrifice Christ made for us.

Christ’s sacrificed twice for us. The first time was in the Garden of Gethsemane. I know we don’t dwell on it a lot, but that is where he bled from every pore as he accepted our sins.

When Christ shed his blood on the ground in Gethsemane, it was for the sins of the world. In a very real way, he felt every agony you have suffered. He was with you any time you were hurt by others or when you hurt someone else. He felt your pain as if he was you feeling everything you are feeling. When you fully accept the Atonement of Christ, you can hand your pain to him. You don't have to suffer. He already did. Remember you are a beloved, wonderful child of God. You are his precious child, and he allowed his perfect son to feel your pain so you don't have to live through it.

The second time Christ sacrificed for us was when he gave his life on the cross. Since he was capable of immortality, he didn’t have to allow his spirit to leave his body. He could have lived forever without dying. He chose to allow his body to die because when he did he broke the bands of death. No one could be held in the grave after that.

In Matthew 27, we are told about the first resurrection, the first people to come out of the grave:
50. Jesus, when he had cried again with loud voice, yielded up the ghost.
51. And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;
52. And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose,
53. And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many.

The resurrection of Christ will allow all of us to take up our bodies again and live with those we love.

I believe in Christ. I believe in his atoning sacrifice. I know that he lives and is involved in our lives today. I pray that you may find the peace in your own life that comes from accepting his atoning sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment